Thursday, November 7, 2013

And We Walk



Daddy please hold my hand

I’m a bit wobbly and cannot stand,

I want to walk on my own

But I must learn how to first, this I know,

Step into step, I trip and almost fall

But Your hand catches me and stands me back up tall,

My steps are clumsy, little, and slow

While trying to keep up with You on this stroll,

You see my disability that will fade with age

You find compassion and lovingly engage,

Slowing Your own steps to match mine

& matching my grateful smile You are also inclined.

 

I’ve learned to walk now, even to run

With this freedom comes the urge to experience everything before the days are done,

But still with a firm clasped familiar hand

You lovingly hold on and explain something better is planned,

My know it all protests are not complete without complaints

So understandably, You tighten the restraints,

You stop our stroll and tell me to be still

Fidgety and reluctant I say, okay Daddy, I will.

 

Time has passed, my agreement, come and gone and come

Wayward is my nature and what wobbly legs have become,

Back and forth on the still request

Is where my allegiance has rested its nest,

The minute I was granted a little freedom, I took off and ran

Not understanding that freedom isn’t freedom but a pit where defiance lands,

Instead of looking to my Father for advice

I decided mine made more sense and I paid the price,

The trouble that found this wayward teen

Even that which went unseen,

The accidental and the deliberate kind

Each unknowingly had their purpose and part in time,

But mine were the choices that were made thereafter

Choices that peered through my soul with evil laughter,

I didn’t look to You in my all-knowing fire

& my knowing was snuffed and landed me in the muck and mire.

 

Years passed while treading through junk I mistook as my home

What should of felt comfy made me feel alone,

A young adult but a pack rat old in age

Still working on accumulating baggage and receiving despair as a wage,

Muscles of steel hardening around my heart

& to remove them, I didn’t know where to start,

This now strong stance of mine was starting to wobble once more

& my muscles from running had now become sore,

Learning to walk will all have been in vain

If I didn’t go back and start from the beginning, no matter the accompanied shame.

 

It’s been two years and I’m now walking strong again

Next to my Father like I would a good old friend,

We still hold hands when the time is right

& when He says to stay still, I stay still with all my might,

When He speaks my soul quiets

& within me He has ignited a fiery riot,

combustible love for my patient Dad

Who wasn’t above sifting all my bad,

Who never stopped calling loudly my name

Who loved a heart so undeniably lame,

Parent and child before its creation heard His voice,

Have grown close and become friends by a happily invited choice.

while we walk

We rejoice.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment